Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Frequently Asked Questions: FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ: Library Account

How do I access my library account?  

On the Ikeda Library homepage, click “My Account” underneath the catalog search bar. A new tab will open to a new page which will prompt you to enter your username (your SUA ID number) and password. Please note: this is NOT the same ID number as your Brightspace account. You will need your ID number that is on your SUA badge. For step-by-step instructions with images, please click here to follow the Library Account Access Instructions.

Through your library account, you can: 

  • View/renew your checked out library items 
  • Save specific search results in your research (and manage your research collections) 
  • Track requests

I’m a first-year student and don’t have my SUA student ID badge. How do I access my library account? 

We can look it up for you! Send us an email at and we will send you your ID information. Once you receive a response, you will need to set-up your Library account log-in before you can use it. 

How do I access the New York Times? 

The SUA community has free, unlimited access to NYT and can make a free account with their SUA credentials. This account will need to be reactivated annually. For guided instructions, please click here for NYT Access Instructions. This will allow you to access NYT online or via the NYT mobile app.

Existing paid subscribers will have to decide which account to use. If you wish to change to the Soka coverage, cancel your personal paid account with' account service, wait 24 to 48 hours for account to be removed, and then just log in with same prior credentials to

I’m preparing to study abroad, what do I need to do for my Library account before I travel? 

Return all library items before departing campus. You will be financially responsible for replacement fees for items lost or damaged. This policy will be enforced even if you claim you gave your library items to a friend to return and they failed to do so.

If you have NOT activated your Pass for free, unlimited access to the New York Times website, you must do so before you leave the campus. For guided instructions, please click here for NYT Access Instructions.

The Ikeda Library staff will be happy to help you with your research any time! Email us with your questions. Bon voyage and have a great time abroad! 

FAQ: Borrowing & Returning

How many library items can I check out?

There is no limit to how many items you can check out. Please consider that you must return everything on time to avoid overdue fines.

How long can I have a library item?

  • Books = 90 days
  • Media (DVD, CD, DVD player) = 14 days
  • Journals & Magazines (back issues only) = 14 days

Can I renew a library item?

Yes, you may renew an item up to 3 times for the amount of time listed below. You may renew materials online in your library account or come in person to the circulation desk. 

  • Books = 28 days
  • Media (DVD, CD, DVD player) = 7 days
  • Journals & Magazines (back issues only) = 7 days

What if I want an item that someone else has checked out?

A hold can be placed on a title that is checked out by another patron. To do this online, click the “Request” link on top of the specific title record in the library catalog. A hold request also may be made by contacting the library. Once the item is returned and ready for check out, you will receive an email notification. 

Can you just tell me who has the book? 

Library staff follow strict privacy guidelines. We do not give out any information about our borrowers.

Where do I return books?

They can be returned from outside to a return box, located between the library front entrance and 24-hour room entrance.

I assist professors’ research and want to borrow library books for them. What should I do? 

Faculty must permit borrowing privileges before we can allow a student to check out library materials on their account. Please fill out this form with the faculty member and bring the completed form to the Circulation Desk at Ikeda Library or email

FAQ: Library Spaces

Does the library have individual or group study rooms? Are they reservable?

When looking for a relaxing place to study, Ikeda Library has several options across each of our floors. Find a spot for yourself or for your group to meet to work together. The study rooms are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis; Group Study Rooms are available for reservation. Please note that during our closure, the rooms are not available. 

Can I bring food or drinks into the library?

Consuming drinks in tightly covered containers such as travel mugs and tightly sealed bottles is permissible. This policy is placed in order to protect the library resources, furniture, computers, and other equipment from damage and insect infestation. 

Is it possible to hold events in the library like reading sessions, guest speaker lectures, book club, etc.?

To reserve the Grand Reading Room for campus events, the request form must be submitted in advance. You will be notified upon approval. The same library policies apply to these rooms; no food and drinks are allowed in these rooms. After the event is over, all chairs and tables must be put back to the original setting.

The printer stopped working, and the library is closed. What do I do?

We have included basic instructions and troubleshooting documentation in the printer room. If the printer/copier is still not responding after following these steps, please notify us in an email to Once we are open during business hours, we will work with IT to resolve the issue.

It’s too cold in the library. 

You may let library staff know and they will submit a facility request. You may also fill out the request by going to the SUA Portal and selecting the Facilities Create Work Request.

It’s too noisy in the library and I can’t focus.

The library is intended as a place of study. Library users are expected to show consideration for others using the library. On all floors, quiet is to be maintained. Quiet is defined as low hushed voices. Earphones must be worn to listen to audio output in all areas of the library except the group study rooms. If audio output is audible by another user, it is considered too loud. Headphones are available for check out at the Circulation Desk. Cell phone conversation is not allowed in the library.

We have many study rooms and areas to use, which are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. However, we also recommend the many peaceful, scenic areas across campus to enjoy when the weather permits. Talk to library staff for our personal recommendations! 

FAQ: Searching the Collections

Can I still have access to physical materials while being off campus?  

Books – Yes. We will scan or copy the sections that you need and then send them to you. If you need the entire book we will mail it to domestic students and scan the entire book for international students and provide a link. To request a scan, please email and include the title, author, and publication date (it can be useful to copy and paste the link to the item record) as well as the chapters or page numbers you would like to receive.

DVDs – Yes, for research purposes. We will mail them to domestic students only. Also, consider checking our streaming videos on DocuSeek, Filmakers Library Online, and Kanopy which you may access through the Library Database page. For more information about searching and accessing films in our collections, please click here for FAQs related to Film or or navigate using the "FAQ: Film" tab at the top of this guide.

What about ILL (Interlibrary Loan)?  

For print books, we will scan or copy the portion you need and deliver them to you. ILL items may not be renewed and will need to be received by Ikeda Library by the given due date. ILL can be requested directly from the item's record on the library catalog by selecting the blue "Select Item From Another Library (ILL)" button. Otherwise, please follow the directions below:

To make a request for a book, click here for the Request Books Form

To make a request for a journal article, click here for the Request a Journal Article Form.

Please contact Gosha Domagala via MS Teams for any further assistance. 

How long does it take to get a print book through InterLibrary Loan? 

We recommend you allow at least 2 weeks for your print book to come through the mail. On the ILL Request Book form, it says “On average, books arrive within 5 business days.” If you request a journal article, it will arrive in less than a week, because those are sent electronically. 

How do I access and use Ebooks? 

The library subscribes to several Ebook databases which can be searched directly from the library catalog. For more information, please click here for FAQs related to Ebooks or navigate using the "FAQ: Ebooks" tab at the top of this guide. For step-by-step instructions with images, please click here to follow the Ebook Download Instructions. For more information on Ebooks in our collection or troubleshooting information, please refer to our Ebooks Guide.

How do I access online magazines/ newspapers? Does this include foreign ones?

The library subscribes to many periodicals as well as databases that provide even broader access to titles such as The Economist. This includes foreign periodicals. These can be searched directly from the library catalog. 

Remember, the SUA community also has free, unlimited access to the New York Times. Follow this link for instructions on activating or renewing your subscription.

How do I find items my professor has put on reserve?

Reserve items are accessible from the circulation desk in the Library. Course Reserves page shows you how to find out what material has been placed on reserve.

How do I access the SUA MA theses and Undergraduate capstones?

The SUA MA theses/projects approved by the Graduate School office may be borrowed by filling out the Thesis Access Request Form. Undergraduate capstones are on reserve and are only accessible to SUA students who have received approval from their capstone advisor and filled out the Capstone Access Request Form.

I keep hearing about Information Guides or LibGuides. What are they?

Information Guides, also commonly referred to as Research Guides or LibGuides (the term created by our vendor) are electronic resources created by librarians for specific course or information needs. They are a great jumping off point when you are unsure how to start researching a specific subject, topic, or assignment. 

Information Guides can also be created in collaboration with faculty for specific courses to provide research and literacy resources and strategies unique to the curriculum or assignments. A course-specific Information Guide can be a great resource to embed into a Brightspace page. If you are an instructor and would like to collaborate on guides for subjects, courses, research projects or assignments, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Reference and Instruction team (Jennifer Tirrell and Karina Kletscher) via MS Teams or email. We would be happy to collaborate with you and lead an instruction session to walk your class(es) through the resource. 

To access Ikeda Library’s Information Guides from the home page, select “Services & Forms” from any of the dropdown menus. Then select the “Information Guides” tab. You can also always enter into your browser’s search bar. From here, you can browse the guides by subject or use the search bar to enter keywords, specific guide titles, or course titles (if applicable). 

Does the library have test prep materials, such as for the GRE or MCAT? 

Yes! We have study books as well as question packs for the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, and TOEFL. For more information, please see Career Resources: Test Prep or search our catalog. 

Can I recommend materials for the library to purchase? 

We love to hear from the SUA community about evolving information needs and growing our collections. If you have a book, film or other item that you would like the library to add to the collection, then complete the appropriate form below and we would be happy to look into ordering it. 

Student and staff requests should be submitted using this Book/Film Recommendations (for Students & Staff) Form. Faculty requests should be submitted using this Books/Films Purchase Request Form

Does the library have fun reading and viewing materials or just academic works?

Fun is in the eye of the beholder! Just kidding, we know what you mean. Yes, we have access to more than scholarly works. Simply search our catalog for physical books in our collections (such as our Young Adult or Children's collections) or available eBooks. We are sometimes able to ILL these titles from our partner institutions. 

For films, we highly recommend our Film Databases, such as Kanopy, which have more than lectures or documentaries. Browse our list of physical DVDs below. And don't forget to use your local public library!

How do I find a list of video or audio materials?

Please refer to the linked lists below.