A unique collection of institutional records and other material documenting the rich history of Soka University of America.
Here is a list of just some of the resources we have available. Please click on the links for more information and some samples from our collection. To learn more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items from the University Archives are displayed on a rotating schedule in the Ikeda Library 4th floor Grand Reading Room and in the Ikeda Library foyer. Archives items are also featured from time to time on the Ikeda Library Facebook page.
Additional items will be listed in the future.
News Article Collection
- The archival news article collection includes feature articles about SUA activities, organizational development, SUA students, faculty, and staff in their roles at SUA. Small mentions of SUA in event listings, press releases, or writings by SUA students, faculty, and staff have been separated to different archival record groups. Starting in 2008, electronic media mentions were collected, so the number of physical items were reduced. This record group expects additions.
History of Soka Education and SUA Founder, Dr. Daisaku Ikeda
- History of Soka Education
- Speeches, Essays, and Messages by Dr. Daisaku Ikeda
- Addressing Soka University of America on special occasions, i.e. Entrance Ceremony, Commencement, Festivals
- Peace Proposals
- New Human Revolution select articles
- Select Daisaku Ikeda messages on the topic of Soka education
- Gifts from Daisaku Ikeda for special SULA/SUA occasions
University History (Buildings, Grounds, and Events)
Includes university planning and construction records, and special events such as opening day, building dedication ceremonies, and anniversaries.
- SUA Commencement Records
The SUA Archives Office collects and preserves a variety of items related to Graduate School and Undergraduate commencement ceremonies. Print records include news articles, invitations, programs, tickets, student commencement guides, and transcriptions of commencement speeches or messages by Founder Daisaku Ikeda, President Daniel Habuki, guest speakers, and honored students. Audio-visual materials include photographs and videorecordings of commencement ceremonies. Memorabilia include a cap and gown.
Publications of the University, Faculty, and Staff
- Calabasas campus, general publications (before 2006)
- Student music recital programs
- Founders newsletter (English, Japanese)
- Peace gala programs, tickets, postcards
- English Language Program completion ceremony programs, student information booklets
- Graduate School publications including course catalogs, student handbooks, commencement publications
- Pacific Basin Research Center (PBRC) publications
- PBRC Update
- PBRC Distinguished Speakers Series flyers
- Publications of SUA Residential Life and Student Activities
- STU: Assorted student affairs publications
- STU.10: Student Photo Directory
- STU.11: Student Handbook and Planner
- STU.12: New Student Orientation Block Schedule
- STU.13: Welcome to SUA publication
- STU.14: Parent Information Handbook
- STU.RES: Publications of the SUA Residential Life Office
Publications and Works of Students, Alumni
Lectures and Addresses (transcriptions)
- Addresses given by SUA President Daniel Y. Habuki, SUA staff, faculty, students, guests, and alumni
Videos, Audios and Other Time-Based Medias
- Calabasas campus activities
- Aliso Viejo campus development and activities
- Video recordings about Dr. Daisaku Ikeda and Soka education
Photographs, photo albums, and visual representations
- Photographic postcard collection
- Calabasas photographs, general
- English Learning Program photographs
- Graduate School photographs
- Human Rights Lecture Series photographs
- Aliso Viejo campus construction
- For photographic requests, please inquire with the SUA Photography Office
- Clothing and accessories, non-paper work and school supplies, paper items, mugs, teacups, keychains, banners, signs, and commemorative items.
University Records (restricted)
- SUA staff and faculty may inquire about records transferred to the SUA Archives.
- Academic Affairs and Programs
- English Language Program administrative files and student reflections
- Pacific Basin Research Center administrative files and the records of John D. Montgomery
- President's Report on the Board of Trustees Meetings (2004-2015)
- Area Heads Minutes (2001-2013)
- Institutional Research and Assessment